Smart home stagers know that tapping into the buyer’s seasonal mood can go a long way. If you’re planning on putting your house on the market this fall, you’ll increase your chances of selling faster if you properly stage for Autumn. This means staying with simple harvest and autumn themes.
Too much seasonal or holiday decor can be distracting and not to everyone’s taste. Fall is a beautiful atmosphere in itself, and you want your home’s attributes to remain the focal point. Remember you are staging, not decorating. Make your home enviable, not tacky or creepy.
Follow these 7 seasonal staging tips from our team of professional Home Stagers to ensure your house is as perfect as possible when it’s time to sell:
1. Take advantage of MUMS (a personal favorite of our Stagers) – Mums, or Chrysanthemums, are flowers that last from September through November. They come in a variety of amazing fall colors and have large full blooms. They can be used both indoors and outdoors to add a pop of Autumn color to your space. Try planting a row of them out front or place them on the front porch steps to make a great first impression with a beautiful porch-scape.
2. Clear Leaves – Although fallen leaves may add to the fall atmosphere, they can make marketing photos look messy. Be sure to rake your yard and clear driveways, walkways, decks, and patios of all leaves when you stage to sell.
4. Give Spaces Life with Blankets & Throw Pillows – By adding blankets and throw pillows to your spaces, you will make them look more warm and cozy, perfect for spending time on a chilly fall day. Add them to your living room and outdoor fire pit seating. Select fall colors or neutrals such as cream and brown.
5. Layering – Layer a buffalo check rug under your welcome mat to add warm interest. You can also layer buffalo check, fur, and/or sweater knit pillows on sofas for an even cozier vibe in your primary living spaces, your family and living rooms.
6. Accessorize with Firewood – By stacking firewood in the fireplace or on a wood holder you will emphasize that your home has a fireplace feature, which is appealing to a majority of buyers. Our stagers suggest using white birch logs to make the largest impact!
7. Stay away from Halloween Decorations – Holiday decorations aren’t your friend when staging to sell. They can look tacky and be distracting to buyers. If your home’s listing photos are boasting pumpkins and ghosts, and it doesn’t sell quickly, you may have to have these photos retaken as they will no longer look tasteful. Save yourself the trouble and stick with autumn and harvest themes that last.